Are there any health benefits?
- Fish maw is a good source of collagen and helps with blood circulation.
How do I select fish maw?
FRIED FISH MAW
- Fried fish maw or 沙爆魚肚 or 油炸魚肚 looks white and puffy. In the 沙爆 or “sand exploded” method, dried swim bladders are continuously stirred in hot sand until it becomes white and expanded.
- 油炸 or “oil fried” is simply deep frying dried maw to achieve the same puffy results.
- Fried fish maw is recommended for plated dishes because it can reconstitute quickly, absorbs sauce easily and gives a delightful spongy texture to dishes. However, a popular soup recipe (often served at banquets) is fried fish maw thick soup or “fish maw gung.”
DRIED FISH MAW
- Dried fish maw or 黃花膠 usually comes from croaker. Croaker maw has higher nutritional value and is better than fried maw for nourishing soups.
- Dried maw requires several hours of reconstitution before it is soft and usable.
- Fish maw from males can withstand long boiling times better while females become soft and and gelatinous much quicker.
How do I prepare fish maw?
- Fish maw must be soaked for hours, usually overnight before it can be prepared.
- Fish maw a suitable alternative for shark’s fin and bird’s nest in soups or stews.
* Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.